Dr. Firouz’s Top 5 Tips For The Best Breast Augmentation Results
Posted October 06, 2016 in Breast
When choosing a breast augmentation surgeon there are a lot of different things to think about while you are making your decision. To help make the process a little easier, one of the best breast augmentation surgeons in Beverly Hills, Jimmy S. Firouz MD FACS, has put together a list of his Top 5 Tips For The Best Breast Augmentation Results so you have all of the information you need for a successful surgery.
1. Experience & Skill Of The Surgeon
Although breast augmentation is a very common procedure, it is vital that you find a surgeon that is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to ensure your surgery is as safe and successful as possible. Furthermore, your surgeon should be a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Having these credentials means that the surgeon has completed at least 3 – 6 years of general surgical training, followed by an additional 3 years of specialized plastic surgery training.
Once you have found a board certified plastic surgeon, during your consultation you should ask your surgeon to show you several before and after pictures of patients who have had a breast augmentation with him. This will show you his skill and amount of experience with patients who had similar breasts to yours prior to surgery. Finally, we recommend you google the surgeon’s name and read the reviews about the surgeon from other patients to make sure the vast majority of patients have had an amazing experience and are happy with their results.
Dr. Firouz is a double board-certified plastic surgeon with over 10 years of experience and performs multiple breast augmentation procedures every week, in addition to complex breast revisions, tummy tucks, Brazilian Butt lifts, and many other cosmetic procedures. During a breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Firouz, he will show you as many before and after pictures as you would like to see and will explain his minimally invasive surgical techniques in detail with you so you know exactly what to expect from your surgery. Finally, Dr. Firouz will let you know that outstanding patient care and satisfaction are his top priorities. His goal is to make sure you feel comfortable and confident in your decision to have a breast augmentation with him.
2. Get The Most Out Of Your Consultation
You are already doing your homework since you found this article, so that is a great start! We find that the patients who have taken the time to research breast augmentation and the best breast augmentation surgeons online before coming in to the office are very prepared for their consultation. They have learned a lot online and have compiled a list of questions for Dr. Firouz. Your consultation with Dr. Firouz is a great time to ask him all of the questions you have thought of during your online research, as well as the time to explain what your motivations and goals are for your breast augmentation. Additionally, Dr. Firouz will examine you in the office and make recommendations based on his evaluation, while considering your surgical goals and any concerns you have told him about. By the end of your consultation you should feel 100% confident about your decision to have breast enhancement surgery.
Below is a list of things you will discuss with your surgeon during your breast augmentation consultation:
Breast Implant Size
Since bra cup sizes vary from brand to brand, we urge you not to think in cup sizes when thinking about your breast size. Instead, we think in cc’s, which is probably new for you. That is why we have you try on different implant sizes in the office so that we can find the best size to help you achieve the enhancement you are looking for. Patients tell us this is the most fun part of their research because they get to actually visualize what the end result will look like! We like to call it the “eyeball test.”
When choosing the size of your implant, you will first tell Dr. Firouz whether you are looking for a subtle/natural appearance or a more pronounced appearance. Once Dr. Firouz has a good idea of your desired results he will take your body’s frame, height, weight, shoulder width, current breast size, etc. into consideration to recommend a few different implant sizes and profiles to try on, based on his examination and precise measurements of your breasts.
Breast implant profile refers to how much the implant projects forward from the chest wall. Moderate and moderate plus profiles tend to be the most natural looking, while high profile gives much more breast projection. The implant profile you choose will depend on a couple of variables including your body type, height, weight, etc., as well as your desired breast appearance. During your consultation Dr. Firouz will listen to what you envision as your ideal breasts and will then recommend which profile is best to help you achieve that result!
Silicone vs. Saline vs. Gummy Bear Implants
Patients have 3 choices when it comes to the type of breast implants that can be used:
– Silicone Implants – silicone shells that are filled with cohesive silicone gel
– Saline Implants – silicone shells that are filled with saline (salt water)
– “Gummy Bear” Implants – a type of cohesive silicone implant
Silicone and gummy bear implants are the most popular among our patients because they look and feel significantly more natural compared to saline implants. Nevertheless, Dr. Firouz will still show you all of the implant options during your consultation so you can choose the best type of breast implant for you.
In addition to choosing the size, profile and type of implant, you can also decide between smooth or textured implants. Smooth vs textured implants refers to the texture of the outer silicone shell. A smooth breast implant shell is just that – smooth and slippery – and does not attach to the surrounding tissue. A textured implant shell has a rough surface that attaches to the tissue capsule around it. Dr. Firouz almost exclusively uses smooth implants because they feel softer, and have less chance of visibility.
Every patient has their own vision of the “perfect breasts,” so Dr. Firouz will listen to your surgery goals and give you his professional advice to ensure you are happy and confident with the breast implants you choose for your surgery.
3. Minimally Invasive & Delicate Surgical Approach
There are many approaches to breast augmentation surgery, including types of incisions and implant placement options. It is important to find a surgeon who utilizes the most minimally invasive, delicate and cutting-edge approach so that your surgery is safe and successful. A minimally invasive approach will also allow for a quicker recovery, so you can get back to your life as soon as possible!
Dr. Firouz almost always performs the inframammary or areola incisions and places the breast implants under the muscle using ONLY a cautery dissection (heat). Utilizing the cautery dissection technique allows Dr. Firouz to cut through the sub-muscular tissue and form a pocket without causing any damage to the surrounding tissue or ribcage. This technique also greatly minimizes bleeding so that the procedure can be performed in under an hour. As a result of this more delicate approach to surgery, patients experience a very fast recovery, with patients returning to most of their daily activities within 24 hours!
4. Follow Your Recovery Guidelines
After your breast augmentation surgery, it is very important to follow the surgeon’s post-op recovery guidelines so that your body heals properly and quickly.
- While you might think resting after surgery means you cannot get out of bed at all, this is not true. In fact, you should get up and walk around your house (or hotel room) every couple of hours to decrease the risk of blood clots.
- DO NOT lift your arms, push or pull anything until advised by your board-certified plastic surgeon. Because of the pain medication you will feel like you can do a lot more after surgery than you should, so please be careful NOT to tear anything by lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, straining.
- You will be given a bra to wear after surgery. You should wear this bra day and night for the first 6 weeks following your surgery. Your surgeon will let you know when you can stop wearing the “recovery bra.”
- You will not be able to workout for 6 weeks after surgery. You may resume light activity such as light walking and lifting up to 5 lbs within the first few weeks after surgery, but you must receive clearance from your surgeon before resuming any strenuous activity such as biking, swimming, aerobics, or weightlifting (usually 3-4 weeks). When you first start working out again, start slowly and gradually work up to your normal routine.
- DO NOT DRINK alcohol or smoke cigarettes for 2 weeks after surgery. Alcohol can thin the blood and cause more bruising and bleeding. Alcohol also interferes with some of the medications that are given during and after surgery. Smoking is absolutely NOT permitted for at least 2 weeks before or after surgery.
- Go to all of your post-op appointments so that your surgeon can check on your recovery progress. If something doesn’t feel right while you are at home recovering, don’t hesitate to call your surgeon and let him know. It is very important to keep an open line of communication with your surgeon, and a good surgeon will encourage good communication during the recovery process.
Every surgeon has his own breast augmentation recovery guidelines based on how he performs the surgery. Dr. Firouz and his surgery coordinator will go over his breast augmentation recovery guidelines with you in great detail at your pre-op appointment.
5. Enjoy Your New Breasts!
Breast augmentation is a truly life changing procedure for many woman who are self-conscious or unhappy with the size of their chest. After a boob job, patients report feeling much more confident in their clothes and swimwear and an improvement in self-esteem!
You have been waiting a long time to see the results of your breast augmentation, so make sure you enjoy it! Put on your new bikini or beautiful new bra you bought in anticipation of your new breasts, and wear them with confidence!
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation!
If you are interested in a breast augmentation with Dr. Firouz, schedule your consultation today – 310.274.4321!